THE BEST NORTH EAST WEDDING VENUES (UPDATED FOR 2022)
The best wedding venues in the North East (in my opinion of course)
The North East has some of the most diverse wedding venues anywhere in the UK. From quirky city venues in Newcastle to grand country estates in Northumberland. I am very lucky to photograph weddings in the North East, each week I travel from tipis and marquees to stately homes, below I have shared a list of my current favourite wedding venues. No matter what type of wedding you are planning there is a venue for you in the North East. *This list is always growing and being updated*
Browse the categories that interest you or just the full list. If there is a venue you think should be added to my list drop a comment below or GET IN TOUCH and let me know.
Whether you want a tea sipping affair with 10 of your closest friends or the wildest weekend with everyone you have ever met, there will be a venue for you.
This is not EVERY venue in the North East (of course) but it has my current favourites, and you know, there are only so many venues anyone can look through at one time! Enjoy.
North East Tipi / Marquee Wedding Venues
If you are looking for a relaxed, outdoor, tent feel to your wedding. Think festival vibes, wellies and all the summer feelings. From party tipi to grand marquee, these venues provide a huge range of options for your wedding.
Bradbury Glade is a relatively new venue, part of the Wonderland Wedding Group. Located in Sedgefield, County Durham it features a tree lined walk that opens up to three tipis. A solid wood walkway saves any sinking of high hells and the setup is stunning.
- Great transport links to the A1 and A19.
- Local accommodation from the quirky Impeccable pig, budget options like the Travel Lodge and close to shops and pubs in Sedgefield. A great location.
- Space for 150 guests including breakout spaces and dance floor.
- Acres of green space to explore for photos.
Vallum Farm is a unique Tipi and Marquee venue in the heart of Northumberland. The marquee barn provides a space for larger weddings up to 160 seated guests, with the option of outdoor or indoor ceremonies. The Tipi provides space for intimate ceremonies of 2-36 people. This venue is great for any couples looking for that outdoor setting, they can provide large games (think giant Jenga etc) and a fully stocked bar. There is even a lake within walking distance for photos.
- Stunning location along Hadrians Wall. Great location only 15 minutes from Newcastle City Centre.
- Exclusive use of the wedding venue and lawn area.
- Use the day before to decorate and add your personal touches.
Ceremony costs (excluding registrar fees) indoor ceremony £300, outdoor ceremony £450.
Venue hire costs between £1800 and £4500 depending on month and day.
Max 150 guests (you can ask about bigger weddings).
Black Horse Beamish (Red Row Estate)
Black Horse Beamish I have included in the marquee category, as well, it is a huge marquee. Although it’s permanent and huge it still has that marquee feeling. Together with the pub and accommodation onsite it’s the perfect venue for an all in one day. Close to Beamish you are surrounded by stunning scenery and plenty of green space for photos. It is worth noting you can also get married in the smaller space in the pub itself.
- Large marquee with exclusive use on your wedding day.
- Lovely scenic area of County Durham including a heather field.
- Blank canvas to style with your personal touches.
Brinkburn Northumberland I have included this here as they have a tipi as part of their wedding setup, although they also have the priory and manor house plus stables and cottages (it’s a stunning venue with loads of possibilities). Brinkburn offers exclusive hire for full weekends and two/three day weddings. Perfect if you want to spend longer on your celebrations and can include accommodation. They offer different packages, including small winter options.
- Two day mid week option includes accommodation for 28 and you can have up to 120 guests.
- Three day weekend options include use of the tipi after the ceremony and the white room for the evening party.
- Beautiful setting with loads of options.
North East Barn Wedding Venues
It’s easy to see why barns are so popular for weddings, their rustic charms and often large space provide the perfect party setting. There has been a large increase in barn venues recently including plenty across the North East. Whether you are looking for a DIY down and dirty sweep the hay before the ceremony option or a stylish renovated barn, you are sure to find something that works for your wedding day.
Located in Teesside and surrounded by green space, Wrays barn at Whinstone View boasts a large modern barn, hot tub cabin accommodation and plenty of open areas for games. A Tipi is also available as a break out space which is very cosy. One of my favourite venues in Teesside it’s well worth a look if you are planning a barn wedding in the North East.
- Rustic barn venue with exclusive use including Tipi and private terrace area. Great for lawn games and relaxed weddings.
- Plenty of space (120 guests for ceremonies and 150 seated for your wedding breakfast.
- Close to stunning scenery including local landmark Roseberry Topping.
Doxford barns is located near Alnwick along the Northumberland coast and sits in 550 acres of country estate. A stunning barn with high ceilings and stone walls. This is very much what you imagine when you think barn wedding. Perfect for ceremonies and receptions the grounds have endless photo possibilities and is a great venue for that relaxed feeling wedding. Specialising in weekend long weddings they have accommodation options and stunning food to keep you entertained.
- Perfect for weekend long weddings with all your guests in one place.
- Rustic, charming barn with plenty of character features.
- Fantastic countryside location in one of the most beautiful locations in the North East.
Located on the edge of the North York Moors surrounded by nothing but green countryside, Danby Castle has to be viewed if you are considering a barn wedding. You can host your ceremony in the 14th century court room full of history and amazing views before using the outside areas and other buildings (snug and Threshing barn). You could even hold your speeches outside surrounded by the ruins and walls of the old castle. A charming venue in a remote location.
- Picturesque location close to Whitby and the North Yorks Moors.
- Several local accommodation options although you can’t stay at the venue itself.
- History dating back to the 14th century, great for anyone looking to get married at an exclusive use old venue.
Healey barn is an 18th century stone barn is one of the most stunning wedding barns in the North East. Set around a private courtyard Located in Northumberland close to Hexham and Newcastle. Part of the Cripps & Co group who run several amazing wedding venues across the UK they are experts at helping you plan the perfect wedding day.
- Huge ceilings and wooden beams for that amazing barn feeling. Historic and stunning ceremony venue for up to 144 people and 200 for your reception.
- Located in stunning Northumberland with transport links to Newcastle.
- Open flame cooking options for amazing BBQ and food options. You are required to use food supplied by the venue.
Barn on the Bay
Barn on the Bay offers a large barn with seating up to 200 of your closest friends and family. Located on the Northumberland coast near Druridge Bay, this coastal venue has plenty of options for your special day. If the weather allows you can hold your ceremony outside in a lovely beachside ceremony. For smaller more intimate weddings you can use the smaller Calico barn for up to 30 guests, the same stunning barn feeling in a more intimate setting. If you have always dreamed of a barn / beachside combo complete with sunset beach photos then the Barn on the Bay is probably for you.
- Beach weddings complete with barns for all weddings. Small and intimate or much bigger! Up to 200 guest ceremonies.
- Beach portraits, beers on the sand and a barn decorated to fit your style. The dream barn wedding venue.
- Personal touches as the venue was born from a family wedding and is family run. Together with an expert team of wedding coordinators.
South Causey Inn
The South Causey Inn makes an intro to the ‘barns’ section with their new wedding barn. Although the venue also has wedding options within the hotel itself. The wedding barn is standalone and allows for exclusive use on your wedding day. Located near Consett, North Durham, South Causey is a popular wedding venue and benefits from a team who are used to handling hundreds of weddings each year.
- Large wedding barn with exclusive use. Plenty of parking and accommodation options on site.
- Two different barns, the Old barn for up to 200 guests and The Beamish Barn for up to 45 guests. Plenty of options for every wedding style.
- Large array of packages to suit all wedding budgets.
Runa Farm is a new venue and one I am very excited about. Located in County Durham this rustic inspired wedding venue states ‘Balearic vibes’ and looks like it is going to be an amazing edition to the wedding venues in the North East. Think barn, glamping and of course plenty of fields for photos. Close to Barnard Castle you get the benefit of transport links and other accommodation options for anyone not staying at the venue itself.
- New venue with weddings considered from the start (aka amazing for weddings!).
- Glamping options for you and your guests to keep with the full outdoor vibes, I couldn’t think of anything better.
- Amazing for festival weddings / weekend long celebrations. (One of my favourite types of wedding).
Yorkshire Wedding Barn
Ok, ok, I know this is strictly in Yorkshire and not the North East but it’s very close and not a very long drive so I think it counts. Yorkshire Wedding Barn is a purpose built wedding venue, think less small , dark barn and more big beams and stunning modern light filled venue. You have a choice of barns from the Lake barn to the wedding barn, for all your wedding day needs.
- Space for up to 280 guests in a modern lakeside setting, heated floors and floor to ceiling windows.
- Plenty of accommodation options from a shepherds hut to large barns and cottages, plenty of space for all your guests.
- Great transport links from the A1 and close to the lovely village of Richmond.
Quirky North East Wedding Venues
From brewery’s to museums, the North East has some fantastic quirky venues to help you say ‘I do’ in your own unique way. Weddings have come a long way and are no longer restricted to the standard venues and hotels. With more venues looking to move into weddings you really can find something for everyone. How about hiring a cinema and playing your own life movie trailer? Pretty cool right?
Get married amongst beer sounds pretty good to me! Wylam Brewery is a unique but fantastic wedding venue located in Newcastle, close to the centre with great travel links and an even better atmosphere. Your ceremony takes place under the gorgeous dome with plenty of natural light as you walk down the aisle. Surrounded by Exhibition Park, the brewery benefits from countryside surroundings and allows for a great mix of photos on your day.
- Unique setting for your wedding day, and as you would expect comes with 3 bars and a gin palace for you and your guests to enjoy.
- Craft beer brewed on site.
As you approach Charlton Hall you might be confused as to why I have added it to the ‘unique’ wedding venues list. From the outside it looks like a (nice) but standard manor house. However as soon as you enter you will notice exactly where the quirky angle comes in. The extremely unique interior makes this a standout venue for your wedding day. From the black and white patterned floor to the eye catching funky wallpaper this eccentric stately home mixes tradition with modern eccentricity. It has to be seen to be believed but is one of my favourite venues in Northumberland.
- Ceremony capacity for 140 surrounded by the fantastic unique character of the hall.
- 18th Century Hall located in 150 acres of stunning Northumberland countryside.
- Modern ‘looking glass’ room hosts your reception with stunning views, unique character and my favourite venue feature of a bar in the same room so everybody stays together.
Spanish City is a unique wedding venue in Whitley Bay, looking out across the beach, most recognisable for the large dome in the centre. Originally built in 1910 the venue features several period features mixed with impressive modern touches. It’s a fantastic venue for couples looking for a beachside setting and unique venue.
- Beachside setting, perfect for beach photos. Iconic venue, beautifully restored.
- Unique dome and styling, gives a feeling of being abroad. Huge ceilings and open, light space.
If you love movies (like me) and have always dreamed of getting married in a classic cinema then the Tyneside Cinema could be the perfect venue. This fun, stylish and original wedding venue consists of three different screen options and of course a bar! Popcorn is essential (in my opinion). From 1930s art deco to small and intimate, you have options to cover all your wedding needs.
- Wow your guests with a private cinema for your big day. If you don’t get married here why not just hire it for a private screening the night before?
- Central Newcastle location perfect for travel and accommodation options.
- Quirky venue perfect for theatre / cinema lovers and anybody looking for something different.
North East Grand Hotels / Manor Houses
The classic wedding venue, perfect for impressive grand weddings or intimate private affairs. These hotels and manors have held weddings for years and if you are looking for traditional and grand then these are for you. The North East boasts some of the most incredible manor houses situated in fantastic grounds.
Wynyard Hall boasts a 12th century chapel, various state rooms and luxurious accommodation for all your guests. Located near Sedgefield and with great routes to the A19 and A1 this is a really easy venue to reach for all your guests. Stunning grounds and plenty of space for whatever size wedding you are planning. Stunning venue for any wedding and a grand view as you drive down the long drive.
- Chapel on site including stained glass windows and 19th century working organ. 120 guest capacity.
- several rooms available with capacity for up to 650 guests! Accommodation options including a lodge and large suites.
- Salon is available on site for ease of getting ready.
Located in Matfen, north of Newcastle, Matfen Hall is a stunning and grand wedding venue. The Grand Hall is where your ceremony would be and has a fantastic winding staircase which leads to the high ceilings and stone walls, a very grand setting for your ceremony. Depending on the weather you have real fires indoors or the private Dutch garden for your drinks before exploring some of the other rooms from the cocktail bar to the cloisters.
- One of the grandest wedding venues in the North East. Full of period features and character for your grand manor wedding.
- Exclusive use for your wedding (only one wedding per day).
- Private gardens and grounds or open fires, whatever time of the year your special day is Matfen Hall will shine.
A fine country house in the heart of Northumberland, Eshott Hall sits in it’s own private grounds and although close to main roads it is far and away from anything else. Nestled in the quiet village of Eshott, the hall offers escapism and gives your wedding day the surroundings it deserves. There is plenty to discover from the coastline to starry skies.
- Amazing Georgian mansion house featured in the Telegraphs guide to the best UK wedding venues.
- Exclusive use wedding venue so it’s just you and your guests amongst the fantastic scenery.
- Spaces for weddings of all sizes from intimate to over 100 guests.
Another Georgian mansion house complete with sweeping lawns and fantastic gardens. Space for up to 200 guests but also smaller more intimate rooms like the 40 person library, Doxford Hall can host weddings of all sizes. You can even hold your ceremony outside on the terrace. Located in Northumberland, Doxford Hall has been lovingly restored, think leather armchairs, fireplaces and elegant sitting rooms.
- Grand interior set amongst the stunning Northumberland countryside.
- A lot of options for your ceremony and reception depending on your numbers from intimate to 200.
- Plenty of photo options in the grounds and inside if the weather is well, typically British!
Dalton Old Pump House
Another new venue to the North East, Dalton Old Pump House is an old victorian pump house located in Seaham, County Durham. An imposing grade 2 listed building, newly renovated but in keeping with the original features it promises to be one of the finest wedding venues in the North East.
- New wedding venue with stunning victorian features. From the elegance of the pump room to the glam of the engine room.
- Various wedding packages to suit different sizes and budgets.
Real Weddings Photographed at North East Wedding Venues
Charlton Hall Wedding PhotographyCharlton Hall Wedding If you want to see a selection of my favourite Charlton Hall wedding photos then scroll down or hit play on the slideshow above. 2021 was a crazy year, as the wedding world opened up again, the amount of weddings we had to fit in across six months was crazy, however I […]
Barn Wedding // Jen & JamesIf there are any positives from the pandemic, it’s getting to spend two days with Jen & James. I first photographed their legal ceremony, an intimate registry office wedding in May. Jen & James still wanted to enjoy their ‘big’ day with all their friends and family and managed to finally have that in August. It […]
Black Horse Beamish WeddingThey really are fantastic, really captured the day. We are over the moon with the photos, our families have all commented on how brilliant they are. Trish & Stewart To say 2020 has been a strange year would be an understatement. My last wedding was in February at the stunning Middleton Lodge (you can see […]
If you are planning a North East wedding and you are looking for a photographer then get in touch today. I can’t wait to hear all about your wedding plans.